Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 100 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. As the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the region, we care for more than 20,000 homeless pets and horses each year at our four facilities and are a national model in animal welfare. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
Purpose of Position: Provide veterinary care for underserved populations in the metro area. The Solutions Veterinary Hospital has five guiding principles. They are to prevent suffering, alleviate suffering, maximize our impact, enhance the dignity of our clients, and to collaborate with the veterinary community. This position works directly with at risk communities to provide affordable, high quality veterinary care within a respectful and compassionate environment.
Perform surgical procedures on a daily basis including spay/neuter, dentistry, and various soft tissue and orthopedic procedures.
Perform veterinary examinations, treatments and wellness services.
Direct the work of technicians and assistants.
Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
Manage and maintain accurate medical records.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions.
Organizational competencies apply to all jobs at the League; position competencies are specific to this position.
Attention to Detail
The Dumb Friends League is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Doctorate or better in Veterinary Medicine.
• Doctoral degree in veterinary medicine
• Current Colorado veterinary license with clean practice record
• Experience practicing veterinary medicine
• Ability to communicate well to a varied audience
• Demonstrated ability to be highly efficient
• Demonstrated excellent surgical skills
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Strong desire to serve under resourced communities with respect and compassion.
• Ability to effectively communicate in writing
• Effective time management skills with the ability to triage cases and workload.
• Ability to work well within a fast-paced environment
• High attention to detail
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
• Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record
• Two years’ experience as a veterinarian.
• Experience in shelter medicine or other high-volume setting.
• Interest and experience in dentistry.